WordPress Never Connects, Please Fix & add other options!

Just like everyone else, when trying to connect to WordPress, I keep getting:
“Connection failed: REST API is not reachable, visit xxxxx/wp-json” make sure your settings (Settings → Permalinks) are set to “Post name” (or any option other than “Plain”) and disable any security plugins that might block the REST API "

Using:
WordPress 6.4.3, with Avada Theme (7.11.3) with no plugins active, PHP 7.4.33

I have tried all of the following:

1. Have used the following:
    username: admin
    password: XXXX
    website url: https://domain.com
    (No / at the end)

2. Tried with & without installed the plugin:
    GitHub - WP-API/Basic-Auth: Basic Authentication handler for the JSON API, used for development and debugging purposes

3. Tried on multiple website with and without Cloudflare and plugins deactivated, all as an Admin user.

4. Disabled ALL plugins

5. Check .htaccess file to only have

RewriteEngine On
    RewriteRule .* - [E=HTTP_AUTHORIZATION:%{HTTP:Authorization}]
    RewriteBase /
    RewriteRule ^index.php$ - [L]
    RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-f
    RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-d
    RewriteRule . /index.php [L]

6. Permalink is: Post name, and tried others!

7. Removed any and all Security Headers that would might affect it.

8. Spent way too many hours troubleshooting and trying to get this work!

I am giving up, can not afford to waste anymore time on this. Moving on to try other automation services that make this way easier to connect. The plugin you recommend has not been updated in 7 years! The documentation is thumbs down.
You guys should find a better way for this integration or offer other alternatives ways to connect because a 7 year old plugin…

@jessier101 hello. You mentioned Cloudflare. Is that your WordPress provider?

Do you know if they have a firewall in place that would stop incoming request?

Hi @jessier101

Welcome to the community!

Let’s debug this together do you have any errors from Wordpress? And could you share some screenshots?

Please keep in mind wordpress is always a pain in the ass when it come to connecting, for example even if you authorization is set up correctly in Wordpress it can still lead to not connecting.

Last check, Did you also tried to create a new account with at least editor rights? And where u used the application password?

If you feel it prettier to debug in private let me know we can share the outcome here.

Kr Bram

Thanks for the support! I am going to do a quick clean WP install with a domain I do not use and test moving forward instead of backwards. I have a feeling it might be my hosting company. Trouble shooting this with Production sites is a bad idea because now I am turning off all my security features, testing, and need to remember to turn everything back on… Yet it still doesn’t work. I want this to work but also I don’t want my site to get hacked either. AP should definitely have an alternative way to integrate with WP. Does anyone know of an alternative way of integrating WP and AP? I know other tools use plugins or application password feature.

I did a complete new WP install and even copied files from wordpress.org, created additional admin, logged out, removed RewriteRule .* - [E=HTTP_AUTHORIZATION:%{HTTP:Authorization}] and tried other changes, with and without WP-API/Basic-Auth: Basic Authentication…, with no other plugins added, no cloudflare, used free SSL cert provided by host, created Application Name & PW and tried that, tired /wp-admin and no / at the end of domain, tired changing permalink to Day and name, used default 2024 theme, Site Health test show: The REST API is available, I can view the JSON when I type /wp-json at the end of my domain name… still same message. I am giving up!

This topic was automatically closed 15 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.